The Rockies, rocking adversity
The Rockies are now 10 – 5 and they have done it the hard way:
- Starting 1st baseman and big 2017 winter free agent acquisition Ian Desmond on the DL (should join them shortly)
- Starting LF David Dahl hit the DL in March. He had a great debut in 2016 and much was expected of him in 2017.
- Trevor Story hit his 1st home run last night and came into the game with an OPS of .514
- Their number one ace Jon Gray went on the DL where he will spend at least a month
- Their number three pitcher Chad Bettis fell victim to a recurrence of cancer and will miss the season as he fights for his life..
- Three-time all-star right fielder Carlos Gonzalez has an OPS of .507
- They have been without the services of their expected starting catcher Tom Murphy(should join them shortly)
- They have had to use two rookies in the rotation
Lately, the Colorado Rockies have had a good start but eventually get swallowed by the summer.
- 2014 – On May 7th they were 22 – 14 and in first place. That would be the last time they were in 1st place.
- 2015 they were 10 – 7 on April 24th. In 2016 they were 8 – 5 on April 18th.
- 2016 they were 8 – 5 on April 18th.
I thought headed into the season that this Rockie team could pose a threat but with the injuries in March, I didn’t think they had the depth to handle the injuries. I can’t see this rotation surviving but the front office might get creative and find a way to help the rotation. They stacked up the bullpen by picking up Greg Holland who leads major league baseball in saves and gave up his first earned run of the year last night.
Fade away might have been their song for the last few years but maybe Not Fade Away will be it in 2017?