Ryu puts one foot forward
as he attempts to navigate the long path back to productive major league pitcher. Ryu pitched for the first time this spring in a real game and was able to complete two solid innings of work. His velocity has moved back to the 88 – 91 level from the 86-88 he was throwing in his bullpens. If he can regain just a tad more strength and continue to stay healthy he just might beat the odds that are stacked up against him.
Ryu has been gone so long that we might forget just how important he was to the rotation in 2013/2014. I still can’t picture him getting back to that level, but I sure hope it turns out that my camera was simply malfunctioning.
Other Game Notes:
- Trayce Thompson made his first appearance of the spring and went hitless in three at-bats.
- Willie Calhoun was 2 for 2 with 2 runs scored working from the DH position. Not quite deuces wild but close enough to get a reference.
- Darnell Sweeney hit his second home run of the spring, the first coming yesterday. The odds are against Sweeney winning the utility role because he has to beat out players like Chris Taylor who hit a double/triple today.
- Stetson Allie crushed a three-run home run. I love his name but he probably doesn’t have enough game.
- Austin Barnes finally showed up and slugged a home run. Don’t let me down Austin.
- Yaisel Sierra continued to impress this spring with two more scoreless innings. He’s now made three appearances and has yet to give up a run in six innings.
- Josh Fields isn’t doing enough to make the roster if spring results matter.
- Posted in: Spring Baseball ♦ Uncategorized
- Tagged: Austin Barnes, Darnell Sweeney, Hyun-jin Ryu, Josh Fields, Stetson Allie, Trayce Thompson, Willie Calhoun, Yaisel Sierra
Ryu has beaten the odds getting back this far.
He looked good. Now it feels like he just might do it? Hope it is not a teaser.
They say you can never have enough pitching. If everyone is healthy the Dodgers might be close to it.
McCarthy, Wood, Kazmir, Stripling, Stewart, Morrow,
Let us live in a world where Trayce Thompson is healthy.