Brock Stewart presses his case for the Dodger rotation
if they don’t acquire anyone of note over the next four days. Brock started the first game of a doubleheader and went six innings, giving up only two hits and one run. Brock has now made seven starts in AAA, and has not walked more than one hitter in any start.
Overall his AAA numbers are – 43 IP, 36 hits, 14 ER, 5 walks, 49 strikeouts
For the season – 110 IP, 78 hits, 22 ER, 17 walks, 121 strikeouts
Other Daily Notes:
- Yimi Garcia was hammered in a rehab appearance for the Tulsa Drillers only getting one out while giving up three earned runs.
- The Tulsa Trio was silent as Calhoun took a well deserved day off, and Verdugo / Bellinger could manage only a single between them.
- 2016 first round supplemental pick Will Smith picked up three hits for Loons. After a slow start to his work in the full season league, Smith has now picked up multiple hits in three games raising his average from .237 to .288. Not showing much power with just one double and one home run in 73 at bats to date.
- Angel German who had just been dropped off of the MLB LAD top 30 prospect mid-season list struck out the side in his one inning of work.
- Shea Spitzbarth had another sparkling relief outing. Shea has made six appearances for the Loons and was hammered in his first outing. Since then, Shea has gotten 26 outs, giving up only six hits, zero runs, one walk and fourteen strikeouts.
Shea was signed as an undrafted free agent in the summer of 2015. The linked column by Harold Uhlman goes into great detail about Spitzbarth so well worth a read as Shea starts making a name.