Chase Utley’s six hits – by the numbers
Chase Utley collected six hits in yesterday’s loss to the Orioles, the most he has ever collected. Six hits is a special number in baseball, a feat accomplished only 103 times in the history of baseball.
- Chase Utley was the 3rd oldest player to collect at least six hits in a game. The oldest were Cal Ripken and Ty Cobb. Here is the complete list sorted by age.
- This was the 3rd time in 2016 that someone had collected six hits. CJ Cron and Wilmer Flores did it earlier this year. No one did it in 2015, and only one player did it in 2014, Charlie Blackmon
- Four players have collected six hits for the LAD, Wilie Davis on May24, 1973, Paul LoDuca on May 28th, 2001, Shawn Green on May 23rd, 2002, and now Chase Utley
- Chase collected six hits but didn’t drive in anyone. Willie Davis didn’t fare much better other than collecting six hits. Paul LoDuca had a huge day, six hits, a home run, and four runs driven in. Shawn Green still stands alone, six hits, four home runs, one double, seven runs driven in. Unless someone does something quite spectacular Shawn Green will always own the greatest single game by a LAD.
- Chase and Willie would both lose their six-hit games.
- LoDuca would win his six-hit game 11 – 10 and even score the winning run in the bottom of the 10th.
- Everyone but Shawn Green got their sixth hit via extra innings. LoDuca got his sixth hit in the 10th inning. Chase got his sixth hit in the bottom of the 13th. Willie Davis got his sixth hit in the bottom of the 14th in a game that lasted 19 innings.
- Chase Utley had previously had only one five-hit game in his career and that came nine years ago on April 25th, 2007.