MLB standings snapshot – Aug 21, 2014
MLB Standing snapshot via Baseball Ref on Aug 21st, 2014
- Orioles are not only in first place they are in first place by nine games. Surprisingly the Orioles had a ten game lead as recently as July 12th, 2012. I thought I was going to have to go back 20 years to find the last time they had at least a nine game lead. (Sept 6th, 1997 to be exact)
- AL East at the beginning of the year looked like a division that could have five teams with winning records. With the way the Yankees are trending, they may only have two, and not the two anyone would have bet on, Baltimore and Toronto.
- KC leading the AL Central on August 20th? When was the last time the fine folk from KC could make that claim? Looks like Aug 19th, 2003, they lost on the 20th, and never led again.
- Angels have blown by the A’s by virtue of their 8 – 2 run, in conjunction with the A’s going 2 – 8. I guess Lester and Smargy weren’t the right answer to the question. Losing Richards however should change the equation over the next six weeks since the Angels had already lost Skaggs, and don’t seem to have an answer for losing their ace.
- Best team in the NL have won nine in a row and taken a commanding seven game lead over the Braves. They get to beat up on the Giants this weekend at home, but then start a nine game road trip that ends at the Ravine for what should be a precursor to who will represent the NL in the World Series.
- Marlins keep hanging around the wild card, and how much fun will this weekend by when Stanton/Yelich/Ozuna and company invade Colorado with that rotation in shambles.
- Brewers don’t get to play the Dodgers anymore so they have come back to earth, but still have a 1.5 game lead on the Cardinals. Pirates lost seven in a row without their MVP but he’s back, Cole is back and they snapped the snide at seven with a lucky win over the Braves when the Upton brothers could not communicate on a gapper. Once again the Wild Card is going to be crazy time.
- The Padres have taken control of 3rd place with a seven game lead on the Diamondbacks. The Dodgers have seen their lead drop to three games but not because the Giants are winning. With the Giants going to Washington, expect the Giant losing ways to continue. Dodgers get the Mets. The lead should grow.