We have some answers
Back in November, I asked these questions and while we don’t have all the answers we have a few:
- Will the Dodgers go hard after their free agents since they don’t have any current replacements for either player and both players were at least in the top five at their position? – Yes, they signed all of the main free agents, bringing back Kenley Jansen, Justin Turner, and Rich Hill. This shocked me. I didn’t think they would spend the time and money on Jansen but they did. Turner’s price came down to such a level you had to sign him. Rich Hill was not cheap and once again the Dodgers are counting on a pitcher with a ragged healthy history to be a large part of the rotation.
- If they don’t re-sign Kenley Jansen will his replacement come from within the organization, free agency, or trade? Question became moot
- If they don’t re-sign Justin Turer will his replacement come from within the organization, free agency, or trade? Question became moot
- Will they roll the dice once again with Chase Utley and a platoon partner or look for a full-time second baseman via free agency or trade? Ah, this question is still up in the air. Dozier wasn’t being discussed back in November but he’s been discussed just about every day since the month turned to December.
- Will they show confidence in Puig and once again make him the full-time right fielder, or continue to peddle him as they did this past summer? The buzz on Puig has been quiet so if the Dodgers are trying to move him, they are doing it quietly. We still don’t know if they consider him a full-time right fielder or the platoon player they used in Sept/Oct.
- If they sign Rich Hill, will that be the extent of their moves related to the rotation? They did sign Rich Hill, and that does appear to be the end of their moves for the rotation but that could still change.
- If they don’t sign Rich Hill, will they be searching for another pitcher via free agency or trade? There are no “quality” starters in the free agent market so they can go back end or trade for a high-end starter.They did sign Rich Hill, and that does appear to be the end of their moves for the rotation but that could still change.
- If they go the trade route to fulfill their needs, which prospects will they be willing to let go? One has to assume the Julio Urias is just about untouchable but you never know. Jose De Leon seems to be the one top prospect the Dodgers are willing to trade for an upgrade. Alvarez seems to be off limits for now.
- Do they consider Cody Bellinger the heir apparent to Adrian Gonzalez? I think the answer is Yes. Cody had an outstanding AFL and has even jumped to number six in the MLB top prospect list.
- Do they think Willie Calhoun can be an NL second baseman? I think the answer is still unknown. Willie had a great AFL but the question about his glove remains.
- Posted in: Uncategorized